Monday, November 30, 2009

Weekend Wanderings - Part VII

The long Thanksgiving weekend to begin the holiday season was fairly uneventful. Thanksgiving Day consisted of a traditional meal, but that was the only "traditional" thing about it. Somehow, I managed to miss the entire Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and only watched two plays of football.

Part of the reason for this was simply being unaware on my part, another reason was a rather futile attempt to find an open supermarket during the day. While back home in New York, most supermarkets are open until at least two p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, that is not the case here in the Twin Cities. Both Kowalski's and Cub Foods were closed, much to my chagrin.

On the plus side, it turns out that the item I was searching for turned out not to be needed.

Friday turned out to be a sunny, but chilly day, with the one of the two highlights being a trip to the dog park for Victor, Roxie, and their new friend Sidda, who holds her own with the two much larger dogs very well. The second highlight was a walk a few blocks down Nicollet Avenue to my favorite local watering hole/dive the Driftwood Char Bar. That establishment recently started having live music on weekends, and Friday's selection was a local Reggae/Soukous band who played several sets of original reggae and soukous (West African Pop).

I'm becoming a lightweight... one bottle of Sam Adams, and three pints of Summit was all I had... I won't be able to keep up with those of you back in Buffalo when I get the chance to come back for a visit.

Saturday fell into the recent pattern of me getting very little that needed to get done at my apartment done... in fact, I think I may have actually managed to do less than nothing as I didn't get around to vacuuming my apartment until today. Saturday evening consisted of a brief trek into St. Paul with Tara (we're sort of like Statler and Waldorf from the Muppets, with most of the negative commentary coming from me of course) and ended up poking around a centerpiece of St. Paul's Mexican community El Burrito Mercado. It's a full-service Mexican grocery, and also has a restaurant of sorts inside. We ended up having dinner there, and it was only the second truly authentic Mexican meal I've had since my arrival in the Twin Cities. The first was over a year ago, I ate lunch one afternoon at a small place a couple of blocks away from my previous residence in the shitty neighborhood from hell, and never took the opportunity to go back. I should have, but I didn't.

I also realized that I do not know St. Paul as well as I'd like to. I plan on learning more about the what and where of St. Paul as we progress through the holidays. It's a unique situation, having two decent-sized cities right in top of each other to explore.

That's it for today... Misplaced is not feeing very creative this afternoon.

See you tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment